Sunday, July 31, 2011

Anwan Glover aka Big G

I just got off work and as I do everyday, I checked the local section of The Washington Post. I always pay extra attention to the crime section and tonight/morning, I read an article that honestly made me sad.

Anwan Glover aka "Big G" may be best known as "Slim Charles", the character he portrayed on the realest tv show ever, The Wire. Locally, or in the DC area, he's known as the lead singer and frontman for staple DC go-go all-stars, Backyard Band. Well, his teenage son was the unfortunate victim of a shooting at a party out in PG this past weekend. As one of Bog G's fans, I mean no disrespect when I say that my man can't catch a break.

Back in '99, if I'm not mistaken, the same year he won "Go-Go Artist of the Year", he was shot on-stage during a show - but survived miraculously. Over the next decade, he recorded more classic Backayard Band hits, perfecting his signature ad-libs and voice. He also displayed his talents acting alongside Idris Elba and Wood Harris. Four years ago his younger brother was murdered uptown, just blocks sways from Howard University.

His son is expected to survive.

I met Big G in passing a few years back while I was working in Georgetown. We dapped, he handed me a flyer, and I held my head high because I'd met one of my local heroes.

My prayers go out to Anwan Glover and his family. Hold your head.

My prayers also go out to my mother (like I'ma plug her name) and her friend Jay and his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment